Discipline & Guidance
At Castle Academy, the term guidance is used for several reasons.
It is a positive term, and implies working WITH the child to develop internal control of her/his behavior. Our goal is to encourage the children to become creative, independent, responsible, and socially mature human beings. This involves learning to make responsible choices, and accepting the consequences of all choices.
Guidance takes several forms:
- Environment – A place designed for children. The furniture is child-sized, with lots of hands-on experiences.
- Logical Rules – Such as keeping our hands to ourselves, and taking care of and learning about the environment. These are discussed with the children, as well as why such rules are needed.
- Curriculum – Is developmentally appropriate, based on the children’s interests and level of readiness.
- Positive Behavior – We reinforce the behaviors we encourage. Catch them being “good”!
- Redirection – Often, attempting to interest a child in another activity can eliminate a potential difficulty. We might ask the child to help us or send them to a different play area.
- Positive Reminder – Telling the child what we want them to do, rather than using “no” or “don’t”.
- Renewal Time – Occasionally a child needs to be removed from the situation for a brief time allowing them to consider alternate, appropriate behavior. We provide an area in each of the rooms where children can be “alone” for a while.
Any on-going situations will be discussed with the parents to ensure a cooperative approach. Please feel free to discuss any questions or concerns.
Note: No corporal punishment will be allowed. This is defined as the use of negative physical touching (spanking, slapping, pinching, etc.). No unusual punishment will be allowed, such as humiliation, ridicule, threats or coercion.
Chronic Disruptive Behavior
We will make every effort to work with the parents of children having difficulties in child care. However, we are here to serve and protect all of our children. Children displaying chronic disruptive behavior, which has been determined to be upsetting to the physical or emotional well being of another child may require the following actions.
The Director may require the parent(s) of any child who attends Castle Academy to meet for a conference. The problem will be defined on paper. Goals will be established and the parents (and the child when capable) will be involved in creating approaches toward solving the problem.
If the initial plan for helping the child does not work, the parent(s) will again be required to meet with the Director. Another attempt will be made to identify the problem, outline new approaches to the problem, and discuss the consequences if progress is not apparent.
When the previous guidelines have been followed and no progress has been made towards resolving the problem, the child may be suspended from Castle Academy indefinitely. The Director may immediately suspend a child at anytime the child exhibits a behavior that is harmful to himself/herself or others. A parent may be called from work at anytime the child exhibits uncontrollable behavior that cannot be modified by the Academy’s staff. The parent may be asked to take the child home immediately. Suspensions from the Academy may vary from a few hours to an indefinite period.
Castle Academy reserves the right to cancel the enrollment of a child for the following additional reasons (but not limited to):
- non-payment or excessive late payment of fees
- not observing the rules of the Academy as outlined in the parent agreement
- child has special needs which we cannot adequately meet with our current staffing patterns
- physical and/or verbal abuse of staff or other child/children by parent or child
- Castle Academy reserves the right to immediately cancel the enrollment of any child or family should enrollment affect the well-being of Castle Academy students, teachers or administration.
Four weeks written notice of intent to remove child/children from the Academy is required. Four weeks of tuition will be charged for each registration not canceled in this manner.